Tourism Malaysia chairman Wee Choo Keong said that while he welcomed the move by the government, he also hoped there would not be “ridiculous conditions” imposed by the Immigration Department instead.
“This visa-free condition was approved by the Cabinet back in June last year, but it was never implemented because the Immigration [Department] imposed ridiculous conditions.
“What I fear most is that Immigration will come up with [other] conditions, like forcing Chinese tourists to travel directly to Malaysia, without allowing them to travel to neighbouring countries,” he said.
Wee said the Immigration Department should instead make it simpler for tourists so they would be more attracted to visit Malaysia.
“We want tourists. We want them to come here and spend money.
“Ridiculous conditions will only make us look silly to the outside world,” he said, adding that without such rules, the number of Chinese tourists could easily double under the visa-free scheme.
Malaysian Association of Tour and Travel Agents (Matta) president Hamzah Rahmat echoed Wee’s comments, saying that the government had announced similar schemes for a while now, but the results had not been satisfactory.
“What is said is one thing, but [what is] implemented, is another,” he told FMT.
He said the tourism industry was “disappointed” and frustrated with the lack of action from the Immigration Department.
“Our tourism industry, as well as China’s, is disappointed and frustrated. I wonder if this is going to be another round of nothingness,” he said.
From March 1 to December 31 this year, tourists from China do not require a visa to visit Malaysia, subject to specific conditions for a period of stay not exceeding 15 days.
