Facebook Twitter Google Plus Vimeo Youtube Feed Feedburner

ROS LBoard 1

Takiyuddin: PAS not aware of alleged ultimatum by Azmin

 | May 19, 2016

Islamist party leader tells supporters not to speculate nor give too much attention to uncertainties and alleged threats as it will only harm the parties involved.

takiyuddin

KUALA LUMPUR: PAS has not received any word on the alleged ultimatum given by PKR Deputy President Mohamed Azmin Ali to its exco members.

Takiyuddin Hassan, the Islamist party’s secretary-general, said now was not the time to speculate, especially when legitimacy of such report is yet to be confirmed.

“I can’t confirm whether it is a legitimate threat as I’m not sure whether it (the threats) is real.

“(But) we can’t speculate. If it is true, it has to come from Azmin or the Menteri Besar’s office itself. So far my office has not received any word on this.

“For now, let’s not pay too much attention on uncertainties as it will only harm the parties involved,” said Takiyuddin when approached by reporters at the Parliament lobby here today.

The Kota Baru parliamentarian also confirmed PAS President Abdul Hadi Awang’s statement that no negotiation talks were ever held between PAS and PKR over seats for the upcoming twin by-elections in Kuala Kangsar and Sungai Besar.

“There was never any official discussion. We would have known if there was, but I don’t know of any meetings or official discussions.

“So far we haven’t received any verification regarding the matter. We only knew about it when it went viral on WhatsApp. No verification from PAS, but if it is true, then let it come from the party president.”

Earlier today, The Star Online reported that Azmin told three Selangor exco members of PAS that they would have to resign by Monday if their party insisted on contesting in the Sungai Besar by-election.

Azmin had allegedly made it clear to them that his party wanted the seat as it stood a better chance of gaining the support of Malay and Chinese voters, unlike PAS or Parti Amanah Negara (Amanah), whose appeal was restricted to only the Malays.

However, according to the report, a Selangor PAS source said the Islamist party was standing by its decision to contest in Sungai Besar.

Hadi had also purportedly instructed the three exco members not to resign but to be prepared to be expelled from the Selangor Government instead.

Meanwhile, in another report, Azmin refuted the news report that he had issued an ultimatum to PAS to stay away from the Sungai Besar by-election.

According to a report in The New Straits Times Online, Azmin said article in question was slanderous.

“Madness. No such thing and it’s not true. Now we are focusing on discussions on the seat and they have not been concluded.

“Discussions are still ongoing as I mentioned before and I am meeting with Amanah today,” he was quoted as saying after chairing a state economic action council meeting.

The by-elections in both Sungai Besar and Kuala Kangsar on June 18 are being held following the deaths of two Barisan Nasional MPs, Noriah Kasnon and Wan Mohammad Khair-il Wan Ahmad, in a helicopter crash in Sarawak on May 5.


Comments

Readers are required to have a valid Facebook account to comment on this story. We welcome your opinions to allow a healthy debate. We want our readers to be responsible while commenting and to consider how their views could be received by others. Please be polite and do not use swear words or crude or sexual language or defamatory words. FMT also holds the right to remove comments that violate the letter or spirit of the general commenting rules.

The views expressed in the contents are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of FMT.

Comments