
In the 1.30pm incident, the shoulder of Jalan Lembah Permai (previously known as Vale of Tempe Road) collapsed, close to Guillemard Reservoir. Huge cracks also appeared on the road that goes around Pepper Estate to Tanjung Bungah.
The cracks were 75 metres in length and 10 metres in width.
Following the incident, the road has been closed for six weeks for repairs.
Fortunately, no one was hurt in the incident.
Many motorists, who want to avoid this snaky road, instead use Jalan Tanjung Tokong, which is a straight, dual carriageway coastal road.
The Public Works Department, police, Civil Defence and many government officials rushed to the scene to seal off the road.
However, this did not prevent many concerned Penangites from pouring in on foot and motorcycles to see the collapsed road after pictures went viral on social media.
Penang PWD Director Salleh Awang said the cracks were first noticed by his officers in May.
He said corrective work to the road was supposed to begin, but there was a delay in funds from the Federal Government. The funds were only allocated in August.
Salleh said the initial cost of the project was RM365,000, but after today’s incident, the cost may go up.
“Following an open tender, a local contractor was awarded the contract and work began on Sept 13.
“From our initial investigation, it appears that rapid water movement in the area made the road unstable, causing the collapse,” he told reporters here today.
Owing to the urgent situation, Penang PWD Committee Chairman Lim Hock Seng said the Penang Government would channel extra funds needed, on top of the current RM365,000 federal funds already given.
He added a house near the affected area had been told to vacate immediately until the road repairs were completed.