
Special legal officer Raja Syarafina Raja Shuib said this in responding to a statement yesterday by George Town OCPD Asst Comm Mior Faridalathrash that the police had tried to get an appointment from Lim’s secretary but were unable to secure one after they were directed do so by the deputy public prosecutor’s office in Putrajaya on Dec 30, 2013.
“Checks by the chief minister’s office have found that in that particular period the chief minister’s secretary was never contacted by the police for this case,” she said in a statement today.
She added that checks revealed that the office also did not receive any letters from the police before February 23 this year for the purpose of recording a statement or interviewing the chief minister on the matter.
Raja Syafarina urged the police to identify the officer who had been contacted as claimed by them.
“If it is true the police had not contacted the chief minister’s office in that said period for this case then the Attorney-General’s office is responsible to clarify why there was a delay,” she said.
Lim had said the meeting with the police on March 2 was the third time his statement was taken and criticised the apparent indifference of the Attorney-General in the case.
He has questioned why he was asked whether he wanted to continue pursuing the case six years after the police report on the matter had been lodged. He stressed he was keen to pursue it.
Lim had lodged reports on Jan 19, 2011 and Jan 12, 2012 on a blog that alleged that his son had molested a schoolgirl and that Lim paid RM200,000 to the victim not to tell others.
In his statement, Mior had also said the investigation took time as police had to analyse evidence from various agencies, including the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) and the website provider in the US, as well as take the statements of 38 witnesses.
Police query Guan Eng over son’s groping case – 6 years later