Facebook Twitter Google Plus Vimeo Youtube Feed Feedburner

ROS LBoard 1

Police: No permit request for Mahathir-Nazri debate yet

 | March 17, 2017

Acting Perak police chief Hasnan Hassan says action will be taken under the Peaceful Assembly Act, if it is held without permission.

hasnan-hassan_mahathir_nazri-aziz_6

IPOH: Police have not received any application from any quarters to hold a debate between former prime minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad and Tourism and Culture Minister Mohamed Nazri Abdul Aziz planned to be held next week.

Acting Perak police chief Hasnan Hassan said so far, there was no request for a permit to hold the gathering, planned for 3pm at Maktab Rendah Sains Mara (MRSM) Sultan Azlan Shah in Kuala Kangsar on March 25.

“If it is held without permission from the police, the event will be unlawful and action could be taken under the Peaceful Assembly Act,” Hasnan said in a statement here today.

He said it was the responsibility of the police to ensure public order and advised the public against participating in the event.

According to recent media reports, Nazri, who is Padang Rengas MP, had accepted Mahathir’s challenge and had even allocated and arranged a time and place for the purpose.

The Umno Supreme Council member said it would be a healthy debate on issues like the Bumiputra Malaysia Finance (BMF) scandal.


Comments

Readers are required to have a valid Facebook account to comment on this story. We welcome your opinions to allow a healthy debate. We want our readers to be responsible while commenting and to consider how their views could be received by others. Please be polite and do not use swear words or crude or sexual language or defamatory words. FMT also holds the right to remove comments that violate the letter or spirit of the general commenting rules.

The views expressed in the contents are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of FMT.

Comments