Police chief says IS planning Merdeka attack in Perak

Police chief says IS planning Merdeka attack in Perak

Intelligence reports indicate that the terrorist group will target public areas such as banks and places of worship, says Perak police chief Hasnan Hassan.

Hasnan-Hassan-isis-malaysia-merdeka
PETALING JAYA: Police have revealed that the Islamic State (IS) is planning to launch an attack in Perak during the upcoming Merdeka Day celebrations.

In a report by China Press, Perak police chief Hasnan Hassan cited intelligence reports indicating that IS would target public areas such as banks and places of worship.

He added that the police were taking necessary precautions and had enhanced police patrol in the state.

This comes just over a year after IS launched its first ever successful attack on Malaysian soil at the Movida club in Puchong.

The attack took place at 2am on June 28, 2016, as customers were watching a live screening of the Euro football tournament. Eight people were injured in the explosion which was caused by a grenade.

IS later claimed responsibility, saying the attack was aimed at vice activities during Ramadan.

Last month, reports said the terrorist group was trying to establish a stronghold in Asia by concentrating on certain areas with Muslim populations.

On Aug 7, meanwhile, police began integrated operations to flush out foreigners suspected of having links with terrorist groups before the 2017 Kuala Lumpur SEA Games begins.

Federal Police (Bukit Aman) Special Branch Counter-Terrorism Division principal assistant director Ayob Khan Mydin Pitchay said the operations around the Klang Valley were being carried out to ensure the sporting event proceeded smoothly.

“We will detect and take action against foreigners suspected of having links with terrorists, especially those involved in activities in Syria,” he said.

Following the operations, 275 people comprising locals and individuals from Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Nepal, Indonesia, Myanmar, Oman, Yemen, Uzbekistan, Thailand, Nigeria and Sri Lanka were hauled up and brought to Bukit Aman headquarters for further investigation.

Stay current - Follow FMT on WhatsApp, Google news and Telegram

Subscribe to our newsletter and get news delivered to your mailbox.