TikTok building new version of app ahead of expected US sale, says report

TikTok building new version of app ahead of expected US sale, says report

US President Donald Trump was planning to discuss a possible TikTok deal with China early next week.

The current TikTok app works until March 2026, but users will eventually need to download a new version. (Freepik pic)
SAN FRANCISCO:
TikTok is building a new version of its app for users in the US ahead of a planned sale of the app to a group of investors, The Information reported on Sunday, citing unnamed sources.

This comes as US President Donald Trump said on Friday he will start talking to China on Monday or Tuesday about a possible TikTok deal.

He said the US “pretty much” has a deal on the sale of the TikTok short-video app.

TikTok has developed a plan to launch the new app to US app stores on Sept 5, the report said.

Last month, Trump extended to Sept 17 a deadline for China-based ByteDance to divest the US assets of TikTok.

The report added that TikTok users will eventually have to download the new app to be able to continue using the service, although the existing app will work until March of next year, though the timeline could change.

TikTok did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment. Reuters could not immediately confirm the report.

A deal had been in the works earlier this year to spin off TikTok’s US operations into a new US-based firm, majority-owned and -operated by US investors. That was put on hold after China indicated it would not approve it following Trump’s announcements of steep tariffs on Chinese goods.

Trump said the US will probably have to get a deal approved by China.

Stay current - Follow FMT on WhatsApp, Google news and Telegram

Subscribe to our newsletter and get news delivered to your mailbox.