PETALING JAYA: The government is reconsidering the single wholesale model for the rollout of 5G network after receiving feedback from telcos and industry players, communications and multimedia minister Annuar Musa said today.
Annuar said the telcos have continued to question the government over the proposed 5G rollout model.
“After receiving a second opinion and feedback from industry players, the Cabinet is reconsidering the single wholesale model under DNB,” he said, referring to Digital Nasional Berhad (DNB), which the government established in February to build and manage the 5G network.
Annuar was speaking at a press conference after a joint venture signing ceremony between CS Cloud Sdn Bhd and Cloocus Co Ltd.
DNB is a special purpose vehicle (SPV) company wholly owned by the finance ministry. The initial plan was for it to be the sole provider of infrastructure for 5G network, then offering it to telcos and retailers in a single wholesale model.
Annuar said the issue was raised in Parliament and the government will now consider whether to allow multiple providers and competition between industry players.
“We hope to have a final decision by next month,” he said.
It was previously reported that DNB would make 5G services commercially available from Dec 15 in three central areas, including parts of Kuala Lumpur.
The company said it would provide 5G services at no cost to all operators integrated into its network between now and March 31.
DNB is still seeking to finalise the wholesale agreement with telcos.