KUALA LUMPUR: Since Jan 1 this year, 22 netizens were probed and 399 websites were blocked by the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC), says Deputy Communications and Multimedia Minister Jailani Johari.
Speaking during the question-and-answer session in the Dewan Rakyat today, Jailani said the government was now working with Facebook and Google to curb social media abuses.
Putrajaya had also formed a commission to focus on misuse of the Internet, chaired by the minister, Salleh Said Keruak.
“This is due to new challenges that have arisen with regards to the different interpretations of national laws and laws of the countries hosting these platform providers,” explained Jailani.
He was answering a question by Sapawi Ahmad Wasali (BN-Sipitang) on what the government had done to monitor social media users who had insulted national leaders.
The government had been heavily criticised for its clampdown on freedom of speech and the media.
Recently, The Malaysian Insider joined the list of news platforms blocked by the government. Others included Sarawak Report, Medium and Asia Sentinel.