KUALA LUMPUR: Police will only accept the deaths of militants Amin Baco and Mahmud Ahmad if their bodies are identified with a DNA test, said Bukit Aman’s counter-terrorism chief DCP Ayob Khan Mydin Pitchay.
“Talking about Mahmud, from our side, we can’t confirm if he is dead despite the many reports coming out from the Philippines.
“We are prepared with the DNA sample of Mahmud that we obtained from the family for tests once they produce his remains.
“The Philippines has not asked us for the DNA sample yet,” he said at a press conference at the 3rd Counter-Terrorism Financing Summit (CTF Summit) hosted by Malaysia here today.
On Amin, Ayob said he was reported to have been killed but no confirmation had been obtained.
“Amin had been involved in military activities since 2001. When we conducted our operations in 2006 in Tawau, he managed to escape to the southern Philippines.
“He has two wives, one in Sebatik, and one is the daughter of Isnilon Hapilon.
“He has one son, Ahmad Malqazi Amin, 13, who we believe is in Basilan.
“I can’t confirm if Amin is alive but his son is.”
He said Amin had come back to Malaysia in 2012 and was involved in the kidnapping of a businessman in Lahad Datu. He later took the victim back to the southern Philippines.
The Philippine News Agency (PNA) reported on Nov 6 that the Philippine armed forces believed that Amin was killed in clashes in Marawi City.
However, some observers have speculated that he may have escaped the final assault on Marawi city.
They claim Amin may have replaced Isnilon as the new emir of the Islamic State (IS) terror group in Southeast Asia after the Abu Sayyaf group leader was killed on Oct 16.