17-year-old Malaysian missing in NZ shooting confirmed dead

17-year-old Malaysian missing in NZ shooting confirmed dead

Haziq Tarmizi was one of the 50 shot dead in the March 15 massacre at two mosques in Christchurch.

Haziq Tarmizi, 17, with his father, Mohd Tarmizi Shuib, who was also injured in the incident. (Facebook pic)
GEORGE TOWN:
A 17-year-old Malaysian teen, who was reported missing in last week’s Christchurch shooting, has been confirmed dead.

Mohd Haziq Mohd Tarmizi is now among the 50 who died in the shooting at a mosque in Christchurch on March 15.

This was stated by Penang executive councillor Phee Boon Poh who said this matter was confirmed by the Malaysian High Commission in New Zealand.

The teen’s father, Mohd Tarmizi Shuib, 42, was one of the many wounded in the incident and is being treated at the Christchurch Hospital.

His other son, Mohd Haris, 12, is receiving treatment for mental trauma at a nearby children’s hospital.

Two other Malaysians were injured in the shooting — Mohd Nazril Hisham Omar, 46, and Rahimi Ahmad, 39.

This brings the total number of Malaysians injured in the massacre to three and one dead.

Last Saturday, Australian national Brenton Tarrant, 28, a suspected white supremacist living in New Zealand, was charged with murder, Reuters reported.

Earlier today, 50 bodies of victims in the mass shooting were brought to a cemetery in Christchurch to be buried.

A majority of victims from last Friday’s attack were migrants or refugees from Pakistan, India, Malaysia, Indonesia, Turkey, Somalia, Afghanistan and Bangladesh.

The youngest victim was a three-year-old born in New Zealand to Somali refugee parents. The first two victims buried today were father-and-son Khaled and Hamza Mustafa, from war-torn Syria, said Reuters.

Stay current - Follow FMT on WhatsApp, Google news and Telegram

Subscribe to our newsletter and get news delivered to your mailbox.