Azmin vows to give full support in sex tape probe

Economic Affairs Minister Mohamed Azmin Ali at the Hari Raya open house organised by Masjid Bukit Antarabangsa in Gombak, Kuala Lumpur this morning.

KUALA LUMPUR: Economic Affairs Minister Mohamed Azmin Ali said he wants the police to proceed with the investigations into the sex video implicating him.

“We want the investigations to proceed and I will give my full support and cooperation.

“Let them (police) do their job,” he told reporters at a Hari Raya open house organised by Masjid Bukit Antarabangsa in Gombak here this morning.

Asked if he would give in to pressure to take leave to facilitate the investigations, Azmin said Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad had clearly stated that this was part of gutter politics.

“His message was very loud and clear, that is, stop this gutter politics,” he said.

The Gombak MP also said the police had not called him for questioning although they had summoned his political secretary, Muhammad Hilman Idham, who had lodged a police report on the case.

“I was informed they will continue to record his statement on Monday. Let them do their job. Do not intervene in the process,” he said.

Azmin, who appeared relaxed and calm during the open house, shook hands with hundreds of supporters.

Asked about his recent meeting with PKR president Anwar Ibrahim, Azmin said: “We spoke and I explained to him the situation.”

On the allegation by Haziq Aziz that he (Azmin) was the other man in the video, he said that was what he meant by gutter politics.

“Let the police investigate. My people (in the constituency) know me very well,” he said, thanking those who had supported him after the video was released this week.

Azmin said the incident will not prevent him from carrying out his duties as a minister and he pledged to continue giving his best to the rakyat.

After the press conference, a group calling themselves the Bukit Antarabangsa Task Force voiced their support for Azmin and condemned what they also described as gutter politics.

The head of the task force, Al Bakri Ali, said it rejected such unwarranted accusations.

Haziq, the suspended private secretary to Deputy Primary Industries Minister Shamsul Iskandar Mohd Akin, admitted that he was one of the two men filmed engaging in homosexual acts at a hotel in Sandakan last month.

He named Azmin as the other person in the video, a claim which Azmin denied.

Haziq, who is the Santubong PKR Youth chief, was arrested at the KLIA departure hall at 6pm yesterday as he was about to board a flight to Manila.

Police said he will be investigated for carnal intercourse against the order of nature and distribution of obscene material.

Haziq was taken to Kuala Lumpur Hospital for a medical examination this morning, and his lawyer said he is expected to be released later in the day.