KUALA LUMPUR: A Malay NGO named by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) as one of the recipients of money linked to 1MDB is not contesting the forfeiture suit to recover RM140,000 from it.
Pertubuhan Kebajikan Islam dan Dakwah Islamiah Malaysia (Pekida) said a letter of representation had been sent to MACC on July 1 to inform that the organisation would not contest the suit.
“However, we have yet to receive a response,” Nor Zabetha Muhammad Nor, the lawyer representing the group said, after the matter came up for case management in the chambers of High Court senior assistant registrar T. Kavita today.
Meanwhile, deputy public prosecutor Farah Yasmin Salleh, from MACC, confirmed that Pekida had sent the letter of representation.
The court has set Aug 21 for case management.
On the forfeiture suit to recoup RM407,000 from Yayasan Penyelidikan Transformasi (FORT), Farah Yasmin said the foundation was not represented at the proceedings today.
The case is fixed for Aug 6 to hear the prosecution’s application for the gazette of the notice for the forfeiture against the foundation, she added.
Meanwhile, she said the forfeiture suit against Gerakan Belia Gagasan 1Malaysia (GBG1M), involving RM170,000, has been fixed for case management on Aug 21.
The three are part of 41 organisations and individuals from whom MACC is seeking to recover RM270 million allegedly siphoned from 1MDB funds through the personal bank accounts of former prime minister Najib Razak.