KUALA LUMPUR: Health authorities have confirmed the first case of coronavirus infection involving a 41-year-old Malaysian, bringing the total number of positive cases in the country to 10.
He is among the two latest positive cases in the country. The other case is a 63-year-old man from China who arrived at the KL International Airport on Jan 18.
Health Minister Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad said the Malaysian, who is from Selangor, had travelled to Singapore to attend a conference from January 16 to 23.
The conference was attended by several international delegations including from China.
“He returned to Malaysia on Jan 23. On Jan 29, he sought treatment at a private health facility in Selangor for fever and cough.
“He was referred to the Sungai Buloh Hospital on Feb 2, and was admitted to an isolation ward. He was confirmed positive for 2019-nCoV yesterday,” Dzulkefly said at the daily press conference to provide updates on the coronavirus situation in Malaysia.
He said the Malaysian was in stable condition and the health ministry was working closely with the Singaporean authorities to trace the people he came into contact with.
The eight positive cases reported earlier all involved China nationals.
Dzulkefly said of the 10 positive cases so far, five were from the Patient-Under-Investigation (PUI) category while the others contracted the 2019-nCoV through close contact.
The number of PUI (Person-under-Investigation) cases from Jan 10 to Feb 3 is 213 people involving 122 Malaysians, China nationals (86), Australian (1), South Korean (1), Jordanian (1), Brazilian (1) and Thai (1).