Sarawak confirms 3 linked to KL tabligh gathering down with Covid-19

Two of the three confirmed cases of Covid-19 in Sarawak had attended the mass tabligh gathering at the Sri Petaling Mosque in Kuala Lumpur. (Facebook pic)

KUCHING: Sarawak confirmed its first bout with Covid-19 today after three individuals from Kuching tested positive for the virus.

Sarawak State Disaster Management Committee chairman Douglas Uggah Embas said two of the patients had attended the mass tabligh gathering at the Sri Petaling Mosque in Kuala Lumpur from Feb 27 to March 1 whereas the third was a family member of one of the patients.

So far, Sarawak had tracked 236 individuals who attended the tabligh gathering in Kuala Lumpur, 173 of whom are currently under home quarantine. A further 63 have been classified as persons-under-investigation.

“We will continue to track the remaining people, and we are appealing to all those who attended the gathering to immediately contact the nearest hospital for Covid-19 investigation,” he said in a statement today.

Uggah also said the Sarawak Health Department was prepared to face any eventuality arising from Covid-19 at its designated hospitals – Sarawak General Hospital, Sibu Hospital, Bintulu Hospital and Miri Hospital.

“Quarantine centres have also been set up in Kuching, Sibu, Bintulu and Miri, and are ready for operation,” he added.

The committee in a statement also announced that all government and public gatherings involving more than 250 participants would be postponed to a later date.

“All non-essential travel to Brunei Darussalam, Sabah and the peninsula should be postponed or deferred.

“Visitors from Brunei Darussalam, Sabah and the peninsula are also advised to postpone or defer their travel to Sarawak,” it said.