Everyone under Selayang EMCO to receive food including Rohingya, says minister

The government says it will coordinate with those giving donations to ensure that they reach the residents around the Selayang wholesale market.

PUTRAJAYA: The government is looking into claims that no food aid has been given to residents in the areas surrounding the Selayang wholesale market, which have been under enforced movement control order (EMCO) since Monday.

Senior minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob said all residents there, including Rohingya refugees, would be given food.

“We are working on this issue (food not being delivered).

“We have been informed that many companies and NGOs are making donations in Selayang, and we will coordinate with them to make sure they reach the residents,” he said at a press conference here today.

Ismail was asked to comment on claims that residents in the area under the EMCO have not been given food.

Previously, the government said that foreigners living in areas affected by the EMCO would be given assistance from their embassies with the help of Putrajaya.

Pusat Bandar Utara (KL North) and areas surrounding the Selayang wholesale market are under EMCO until May 3 – the third area in the capital under the order after Menara City One in Jalan Dang Wangi and Selangor Mansion and Malayan Mansion off Jalan Masjid India.

FMT reported earlier today that an estimated 15,000 Rohingya refugees living in the area under the Selayang EMCO faced hunger as only Malaysians are eligible for food aid from the government.

A source said they were not eligible to receive aid from their embassy as they are not legally recognised as nationals by the Myanmar government.

CLICK HERE FOR OUR LIVE UPDATE OF THE COVID-19 SITUATION IN MALAYSIA

Fake or not? Check our quick fake news buster here.