MM2H holders stranded overseas can return home

The government says there are 253 MM2H holders and independents stranded overseas since the MCO began on March 18.

PETALING JAYA: Expatriates and family members under the Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) programme stranded overseas can return home from tomorrow, the government announced.

The 253 MM2H holders and their dependents had been stuck in various countries abroad following the implementation of the movement control order (MCO) on March 18.

Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister Nancy Shukri said that following the replacement of the MCO with the conditional movement control order (CMCO) from May 13 to June 9, the government has decided that the expatriates and their dependents can return home from tomorrow (May 17).

“While the government welcomes home the stranded MM2H members, they have to comply with all the MCO’s requirements,” Nancy said in a statement today.

Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister Nancy Shukri.

They include medical screening at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport, followed by 14 days’ quarantine at the quarantine station. They must also bear the accommodation cost at the quarantine station, she said.

Nancy said while the government shared the plight of the MM2H members during the MCO, it hoped they could understand the challenges faced by authorities to deal with the Covid-19 pandemic that had been spreading rapidly throughout the country.

“Towards this end, the government has given its utmost priority to protect the populace including the MM2H community from the scourge of Covid-19, as well as to secure Malaysia’s borders from the spread of the virus.

“The prompt and effective approach undertaken by the government helped to contain and flatten the curve on the spread of Covid -19,” she said.

She wished those returning home “a safe journey and to be happily united with their loved ones”.

CLICK HERE FOR THE LATEST DATA ON THE COVID-19 SITUATION IN MALAYSIA

Fake or not? Check our quick fake news buster here.