PETALING JAYA: Senior minister for security Ismail Sabri Yaakob said barbershops will still need to close while the National Security Council (NSC) and the health ministry draft standard operating procedures (SOPs) for their reopening.
He said a decision will only be made after the proposed SOPs are presented to the special Cabinet meeting.
Until then, he said, “barbers are still in the prohibited list, anywhere at all, including at home”.
At his daily press briefing today, Ismail also warned mamak restaurants to adhere to the same SOPs as other businesses.
“All restaurants must follow the SOPs. They must close at 10pm. That is clear. It’s all in the SOPs, including social distancing, temperature checks, and taking down the names of customers.”
He said police and the local councils would be told to take immediate action against premises that did not comply with the SOPs.
Ismail also told community leaders in Sabah and Sarawak to remind those celebrating Hari Gawai and Pesta Kaamatan to follow the SOPs issued for festivities, such as social distancing, keeping good hygiene and also not having more than 20 people in one house during a visit.
“Visitations are only allowed for 20 people for only one day,” he said.
Forty-three people were arrested for flouting the conditional movement control order (CMCO) yesterday, with 38 remanded and five offered bail.
Police also issued compound notices to 356 individuals for different offences but no one was fined for visits during Hari Raya.
“There are still many people getting compounds for attempting to travel interstate,” he said, adding that interstate travel was only allowed for emergencies, deaths, work and couples who were separated.
Meanwhile, 14,623 Malaysians are still undergoing mandatory quarantine at 186 quarantine centres. So far, 48,236 people have undergone quarantine and 37,098 discharged.
Ismail also said the higher education ministry had sent 56,814 students back to their hometowns since April 27.
Another 1,617 students were still stuck in their campuses and the ministry was making arrangements for them to return home. However, he said there were no plans to send students home today.
He said the domestic trade and consumer affairs ministry had carried out 2,063 checks on premises and businesses and found that 1,884 were following the SOPs. One hundred and sixty-three were given advice, and 16 received warnings.
Ismail also said the Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB) had ordered seven construction sites to close for flouting the SOPs.
He said construction sites were only allowed to open if foreign workers had been tested negative for Covid-19.
CLICK HERE FOR OUR LIVE UPDATE OF THE COVID-19 SITUATION IN MALAYSIA
Fake or not? Check our quick fake news buster here.