Sarawak allows express, stage buses to operate at full capacity

Sarawak’s express and stage buses can run at 100% capacity from today subject to SOPs by the state transport ministry.

KUCHING: Express and stage buses are allowed to operate at full capacity in the state starting today, the Sarawak disaster management committee said.

Its chairman Douglas Uggah Embas said the detailed standard operating procedures (SOPs) have been listed in the state’s transport ministry website.

“Since schools are expected to reopen on June 24, school buses and vans are also allowed to operate at 100% capacity based on the SOPs by the state’s transport ministry,” he said at a press conference here today.

Uggah also said gaming operators licensed by the finance ministry would also be allowed to operate from Friday based on the SOPs.

He said day and night markets, including weekly markets, had also been given the green light to operate from June 20.

Although most of the economic sectors in Sarawak had resumed operations, he said, the public must not take for granted the possibility of further Covid-19 infections.

“We must continue to stay vigilant and take into account the importance of complying with the SOPs,” he said.

Uggah also said 105 personnel would be deployed to man roadblocks under Ops Benteng at six locations in the state – Lundu, Bau, Padawan, Serian, Sri Aman and Lubok Antu.

Ops Benteng, a special operation undertaken by the National Task Force led by the armed forces, police and Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA), is aimed at beefing up border control to prevent the entry of illegal immigrants and cross-border crime.

He said 1,137 vehicles had been inspected but there had been no arrests so far under the Ops Benteng in the state.

Earlier, Uggah said a new Covid-19 case had been reported in Bintulu today, bringing the total in the state so far to 561.

He said the patient had come into contact with a student at a public higher learning institution in Mukah, who tested positive for Covid-19 on Sunday after returning home to Bintulu.

Yesterday, it was reported that three individuals were also tested positive for the virus after coming into contact with the student.

Uggah said the student had received visits from several relatives during the Hari Raya celebrations last month.

The total number of deaths due to Covid-19 in Sarawak remains at 17.

CLICK HERE FOR THE LATEST DATA ON THE COVID-19 SITUATION IN MALAYSIA

Fake or not? Check our quick fake news buster here.