Bodies of four missing Italian divers found in the Maldives

Bodies of four missing Italian divers found in the Maldives

During a three-hour operation, the team of Finnish divers also gathered the information needed to plan the recovery of the bodies.

 Members of the Sea Ambulance from the Maldives National Defense Force (MNDF) during a search and recovery operation in the Vaavu Atoll, Maldives, 16 May 2026. The operation follows a scuba diving accident on 14 May, which claimed the lives of five Italian nationals. An MNDF military diver, identified as Staff Sergeant Mohammed Mahdi, died while searching for the bodies of the missing Italians. The five Italians died while attempting to explore caves at a depth of around 50 meters, and only one of their bodies is thought to have been recovered
The five Italians died while attempting to explore caves at a depth of around 50 meters, with one body recovered on Friday. (EPA Images pic)
MALE:
A specialist team has located the bodies of four missing Italian scuba divers who died in an accident in underwater caves, Maldives officials and the DAN Europe divers’ network said on Monday.

During a three-hour operation, the team of Finnish divers also gathered the information needed to plan the recovery of the bodies, DAN Europe said in a statement.

“This marks an important milestone in an operation that remains technically demanding, emotionally challenging, and operationally complex,” the statement added.

The Finnish team arrived on Sunday, after the incident in the Vaavu Atoll, where the Italian divers had been exploring caves at a depth of 50 metres (165 feet) on Thursday.

Authorities are investigating procedures ahead of the dive, Mohamed Hussain Shareef, chief spokesperson of the President’s Office of the Maldives, told Reuters.

The body of a fifth Italian diver was recovered on Friday at a depth of about 60 metres inside a cave structure, the Maldives National Defence Force (MNDF) said last week, adding it assumed the others would also be in the cave which is about 200 feet long.

A MNDF diver taking part in the search died on Saturday from decompression illness, prompting authorities to temporarily suspend the recovery effort which has been taking place in rough weather and sea conditions.

Stay current - Follow FMT on WhatsApp, Google news and Telegram

Subscribe to our newsletter and get news delivered to your mailbox.