Pakistan hands US revised Iranian proposal for ending war

Pakistan hands US revised Iranian proposal for ending war

US President Donald Trump warned Iran that 'the clock is ticking' and he is expected to discuss military options with advisers on Tuesday.

Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei confirmed that Tehran’s views had been ‘conveyed to the US side through Pakistan’ but gave no details. (EPA Images pic)
KARACHI:
Peace mediator Pakistan has shared with the US a revised proposal from Iran to end the war in the Middle East, a Pakistani source told Reuters on Monday, warning that the sides “don’t have much time” to narrow their differences.

A fragile ceasefire is in place after six weeks of war that followed US-Israeli airstrikes on Iran, but talks mediated by Pakistan have stalled and US President Donald Trump has said the ceasefire is “on life support”.

The Pakistani source gave no details of the revised proposal. Asked if it would take time to close gaps, the source said the sides “keep changing their goalposts” and added: “We don’t have much time.”

Washington has urged Tehran to dismantle its nuclear program and lift an effective blockade on the Strait of Hormuz, which normally carries one-fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas supply.

Iran has demanded compensation for war damage, an end to a US blockade of Iranian ports and a halt to fighting on all fronts, including in Lebanon, where Israel is battling the Iran-backed Hezbollah militia.

Trump said in a post on Truth Social at the weekend that “the Clock is Ticking” for Iran, adding that “they better get moving, FAST, or there won’t be anything left of them. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!”

Trump is expected to meet top national security advisers on Tuesday to discuss options for resuming military action, Axios reported.

Issues holding up ​negotiations also ​include Iran’s nuclear ambitions. The US and other major powers want to ensure that Iran cannot develop nuclear weapons.

Tehran denies trying to do so, and also wants compensation for war damage, a guarantee that there will be no further attacks, and resumption of Iranian oil sales.

Baghaei said Tehran was prepared for all scenarios.

“As for their threats, rest assured that we are fully aware of how to respond appropriately to even the smallest mistake from the opposing side,” he told a televised weekly press conference.

Hostilities have been scaled down since the ceasefire came into effect in April, but drones have been launched from Iran towards Gulf countries hosting US military bases.

One drone strike caused a fire at a nuclear power plant in the United Arab Emirates, officials there said on Sunday, and Saudi Arabia reported intercepting three drones.

Iran stepped up attacks on the UAE this month after Trump announced a naval mission to try to open the Strait of Hormuz, which he suspended after 48 hours.

Stay current - Follow FMT on WhatsApp, Google news and Telegram

Subscribe to our newsletter and get news delivered to your mailbox.