PETALING JAYA: The wife of one of the passengers on board the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 says she launched a legal suit against US-based aircraft maker Boeing as she believed the incident was related to a fault with the plane.
Australian Danica Weeks was reported by the ABC news network yesterday as saying that it could not have happened due to a suicide bid, as has been speculated by certain quarters who claimed that it might have been the work of pilot Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah.
“I’ve always believed the fault was with the plane, which is why I put a court case out against Boeing in the US — to prove that the Boeing 777s that are still flying are safe,” she was quoted as saying in ABC’s news portal.
“If you look back at suicidal plots, it doesn’t normally happen seven hours into a flight — it would happen in the beginning,” she added.
Weeks was recorded to have filed the suit against Boeing with four other plaintiffs at the district court of the District of Columbia in the US, based on alleged personal injury, airplane product liability and torts, on June 15, 2016.
She was quoted as saying that she was still waiting for a response from Boeing,
The Boeing 777-200ER had disappeared en route to Beijing from the Kuala Lumpur International Airport with 227 passengers, including Weeks’ husband Paul Weeks, and 12 crew on board on March 8, 2014.
Australia, China and Malaysia, which jointly coordinated and funded the search operation led by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB), had announced in January last year the suspension of the search for MH370.
However, on Jan 10 this year, the Malaysian government and Ocean Infinity, a seabed exploration company, inked a deal to search for the missing plane on a“no cure, no fee” basis.
The search, due to start in the middle of this month, will involve the Seabed Constructor vessel which would cover an area of 25,000 sq km within 90 days.
On Dec 31, the Perth Now news portal had reported Weeks as objecting to Australia’s plan to build a memorial for the people lost on the aircraft in Perth.
She claimed that it sent a message to relatives of the missing that their loved ones were “collateral damage” and that authorities “want to move on from MH370”.
ABC yesterday quoted Weeks as saying that she had also not held a memorial for Paul.
“I haven’t had a memorial — I think I would be kidding myself if I had one,” she said. “We are still without a death certificate — I don’t want one — I want him to be found.”