KOTA KINABALU: Parti Warisan Sabah (Warisan) president Shafie Apdal will be defending his Semporna seat and contesting the Senallang state seat in what will be an acid test for the party this election.
The list contains a mixture of young and veteran candidates, including eight women candidates.
Shafie will face off against his cousin Nasir Sakaran, who is the Barisan Nasional (BN) candidate in Senallang, and Sabah Umno deputy information chief Ramlee Marahaban, a staunch critic of Shafie, in Semporna.
In total, the party will be contesting 17 federal seats including Labuan and 45 state seats.
The party’s deputy president Darell Leiking will defend the Penampang federal seat while Warisan’s treasurer-general Terence Siambun was dropped from the list.
He won the Moyog state seat on a PKR ticket in May 2013 but has since joined Warisan. PKR’s Jenifer Lasimbang will contest the Moyog seat under Warisan’s flag.
“This is a compromise between Warisan and PKR because they (PKR) won both the Penampang and Moyog seats (in the last election),” Shafie said.
“(Lasimbang) is a compromise candidate between both parties but she will contest on Warisan’s ticket,” he said, adding that the party had made a similar compromise on the Inanam state seat won by PKR, and the Likas state seat won by DAP in the last election.
The Inanam seat, which is part of the Sepanggar federal constituency, will be contested by PKR while Likas, which was won by Warisan vice-president Junz Wong on a DAP ticket in the last election, will be contested by DAP.
Other notable names included former Sabah BN secretary Karim Bujang who will contest the Kimanis federal seat against BN incumbent Anifah Aman.
Another is former Dewan Rakyat deputy speaker Yusuf Yacob, who will be standing for the Sindumin state seat in Sipitang.
Wong has been moved to contest the Tanjong Aru state seat while Warisan Youth chief Azis Jamman will face off against Sabah BN secretary Abdul Rahman Dahlan for Sepanggar.
Former beauty queen Jo-Anna Sue Henley Rampas, 29, Warisan’s youngest candidate, will stand in Kiulu against incumbent and PBS Supreme Council member Joniston Bangkuai.
Shafie said the candidates comprise mostly professionals and that a handful were women as the party wanted women to play a big role in the coming election, in line with its manifesto.
“These candidates are professionals, including former lecturers, PhD holders, lawyers and an ex-deputy shariah judge (among others).
“This is the new deal for Sabahans… I hope they will give us the support to change the administration and government of Sabah,” he said.
When asked on Ramlee being named as his challenger in Semporna, Shafie said: “I don’t want to talk big. I leave it to the people to choose an elected rep whom they think is suitable at both federal and state levels.”
Below is the full list of Warisan’s candidates:
- Labuan – Noor Halim Zaini
- Kudat – Sharif Azman Sharif Along
- Kota Marudu – Barlus Manggabis
- Kota Belud – Isnarasiah Munirah Majilis
- Sepanggar – Mohd Azis Jamman
- Penampang – Darell Leiking
- Papar – Ahmad Hassan
- Sipitang – Noor Hayati Mustapha
- Keningau – Jake Nointin
- Beluran – Jaafar Zairun
- Libaran – Irwanshah Mustapha
- Batu Sapi – VK Liew
- Kinabatangan – Ghazali Abdul Ghani
- Silam – Mohammad Din Ketapi
- Semporna – Shafie Apdal
- Kalabakan – Ma’mun Sulaiman
- Banggi – Mohammad Mohamarin
- Tanjong Kapor – Chong Chen Bin
- Pitas – Maklin Masiau
- Tandek – Baintin Adun
- Usukan – Abdul Bakrin Mohd Yusof
- Sulaman – Abdullah Sani Daud
- Kiulu – Jo-Anne Sue Henley Rampas
- Karambunai – Azhar Matussin
- Tanjung Aru – Junz Wong Hun Jun
- Petagas – Uda Sulai
- Moyog – Jenifer Lasimbang (PKR candidate to contest under Warisan logo)
- Kawang – Salleh Eddris
- Pantai Manis – Aidi Mokhtar
- Kimanis – Karim Bujang
- Bongawan – Daud Yusof
- Membakut – Abdul Sani Marip
- Klias – Johair Mat Lani
- Lumadan – Md Samuh Juaisin
- Sindumin – Yusof @ Josree Yacob
- Kundasang – Siriman @ Mohd Fazid Basir
- Paginatan – Julian @ Paul Sidin
- Tambunan – Justin Alip
- Liawan – Rasinin Koutis
- Melalap – Peter Anthony
- Kemabong – Harish Bolos
- Sook – Martin Tomy @ Tommy
- Nabawan – Ahuar Rasam
- Sugut – Aspah Abdul Sani
- Labuk – Ramsah Tasim @ Tashim
- Gum-Gum – Arunarsin Taib
- Sungai Sibuga – Asmara Abdul Rahman
- Sekong – Arifin Asgali
- Karamunting – Hiew Vun Zin @ George
- Kuamut – Norfaizah Chua
- Sukau – Mohd Ismail Ayob
- Tungku – Assaffar @ Samsul Kamal Palian
- Lahad Datu – Dumi Pengiran Masdal
- Kunak – Norazlinah Arif
- Sulabayan – Jaujan Sambakong
- Senallang – Shafie Apdal
- Bugaya – Manis Muka Mohd Darah
- Balung – Andi Rus Diana Andi Paladjareng
- Apas – Abdul Salip Ejal
- Merotai – Sarifuddin Hata
- Tanjung Batu – Ismail Senang
- Sebatik – Hassan Gani Pengiran Amir
Click here to get live updates throughout the GE14 season.