SAPP’s Melanie Chia says DAP had previously fielded several candidates in Sabah who changed parties to the chagrin of voters.
KOTA KINABALU: DAP has only itself to blame for being left without any “safe” seats in Sabah in the May 9 election, says Sabah Progressive Party (SAPP) deputy president Melanie Chia.
She said the Peninsular Malaysia-based opposition party had taken Sabahans for granted for too long.
She said in the last general election, DAP had fielded candidates in Sabah who had since switched political allegiances to the anger of voters.
Stay up-to-date by following FMT's Telegram channelFMT
“Three DAP YBs (reps) have switched parties since the 2013 polls,” she said in a statement today in response to a report that quoted Sabah DAP chief Stephen Wong as saying there were no more safe seats for the party in the state.
Chia added that Barisan Nasional (BN) was fielding Dr Joseph Lee Han Kyun, who unsuccessfully contested the Putatan federal seat in 2013 for DAP, for the Kota Kinabalu parliamentary seat in GE14.
Lee, now a Parti Bersatu Sabah (PBS) member, is engaged in a three-cornered fight against Sabah DAP secretary Chan Foong Hin, and SAPP president and former chief minister Yong Teck Lee.
Chia, who is SAPP’s director of operations for the election, said it was becoming obvious that a political wind of change was blowing through Kota Kinabalu for the local party, which is a Gabungan Sabah component.
She also alleged that DAP’s past MPs in Kota Kinabalu had performed disappointingly since 2008.
“The DAP representatives went missing for 10 years. Sabahans do not want a missing YB for another five years.
“Kota Kinabalu voters know they deserve more than just coffee-shop talk specialists,” Chia said.