150,000 illegals surrender under 3+1 amnesty since Jan 1

Immigration Department director-general Mustafar Ali says the 3+1 programme will expire on Aug 30 and immigration service counters nationwide would operate on weekends this month from 8am to 5pm. (Bernama pic)

PUTRAJAYA: About 840,000 illegal immigrants have surrendered voluntarily for deportation to their countries of origin under the 3+1 amnesty programme since its inception in 2014.

Immigration Department director-general Mustafar Ali said in the same period, a total of RM400 million in compound fines had also been collected.

Speaking at a press conference here today, he said this year alone, 148,774 illegal immigrants had surrendered themselves under this programme.

Mustafar said in order to ensure smooth running of the 3+1 programme which would expire on Aug 30, immigration service counters nationwide would operate on weekends this month from 8am to 5pm.

As such, he urged illegal immigrants to make the most of the remaining days of the programme.

“In conjunction with the National Day on Aug 31, we will carry out efforts to liberate Malaysia from illegal immigrants,” he said adding that a total of 8,694 operations had been conducted nationwide, with 26,200 illegal immigrants and 700 employers arrested, from January until last Thursday.

In the meantime, Mustafar said employers and illegal immigrants participating in the rehiring programme found to have failed to settle their compound fines within the stipulated period would be blacklisted beginning Sept 1.

“Offenders who have been blacklisted will be barred from leaving the country, applying for passports and travel documents as well as carrying out any transaction at the Immigration Department,” he said.