JOHOR BAHRU: Police today denied the abduction of two teenage boys in Skudai, Johor Bahru, and Paloh, Kluang, recently was related to drug trafficking or motivated by revenge.
Johor CID chief Kamaluddin Kassim said based on initial investigations, the suspects only planned to get money from the boys’ families.
He said this when commenting on the speculation that the suspects and victims could be involved in drug trafficking.
He said both victims knew the suspects.
Yesterday, Kamaluddin revealed that police had arrested 13 men in connection with the case and rescued one of the teenage boys.
He said the suspects, aged between 19 and 39, were picked up at four locations and were placed under remand for 12 days up to Sept 1 to facilitate the investigations under Section 3 of the Kidnapping Act 1961.
Two of them were caught at a house in Pagoh, Muar, at 11.30pm last Sunday while the other 11 were picked up at a house in Yong Peng, Batu Pahat, a budget hotel on Jalan Wong Ah Fook, Johor Bahru, and in Singapore between 11.30am and 1pm on Tuesday, he said.
The arrests followed two reports received by the police on July 18 and Aug 19 on the abduction of two 18-year-old boys in Skudai and Paloh and the demand for a RM120,000 ransom.
Following the arrests, police rescued the second victim from a house in Pagoh where he had been confined.
Kamaluddin also said that parts of a human skeleton were found at a rubbish dump in the area but the remains had yet to be identified.
He said police were awaiting the DNA tests from the hospital.