PETALING JAYA: Santubong PKR Youth chief Haziq Aziz, who admitted that he was one of two men filmed engaging in homosexual acts at a hotel, is likely to be released today from police custody, his lawyer said.
“The investigating officer in the case has assured me (of his release) when I met him at Kuala Lumpur Hospital early this morning,” Ramesh Sivakumar told FMT.
The lawyer said police recorded a statement from Haziq last night and he was brought to the hospital today.
“A medical examination is being conducted on Haziq and he will probably be freed later in the day,” he said.
A legal team comprising Ramesh, Sivahnanthan Ragava and Afiqah Abdul Latiff was at the hospital to meet Haziq.
Police must obtain a remand order from a magistrate should investigations need to be extended beyond 24 hours.
In a statement last night, CID chief Huzir Mohamed said Haziq will be investigated for carnal intercourse against the order of nature and distribution of obscene material.
Huzir said Haziq, who has been suspended as an aide to a deputy minister, will also be investigated under Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998, which criminalises the use of network facilities or network services by a person to transmit any communication deemed to be offensive.
Haziq will also be investigated for intending to provoke a breach of public peace.
Huzir said police arrested Haziq at the KLIA departure hall at 6pm as he was about to board a flight to Manila.
On Wednesday, Haziq admitted that he was one of two men filmed engaging in homosexual acts at a hotel in Sandakan last month.
He claimed that the video was recorded without his permission on May 11 at the Four Points hotel in Sandakan during the recent by-election there.
He also named Economic Affairs Minister Mohamed Azmin Ali as the other person in the video.
Azmin has strongly denied the claim and has threatened to take legal action.