110 new Covid-19 cases, bringing total to 900

The Sungai Buloh Hospital, the nation’s main centre to treat Covid-19 patients.

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia has recorded another 110 new Covid-19 cases, bringing the total number of patients so far to 900 people, Health Minister Dr Adham Baba said today.

Sixty-three of the latest cases are linked to the tabligh convention at the Sri Petaling mosque early this month.

Twenty patients are currently warded in the intensive care unit (ICU).

Adham said 15 patients have recovered and have been discharged, bringing the total to 75.

He urged those at the tabligh gathering to come forward for testing as another 4,000 out of the 14,000 attendees had not been screened.

“This is the biggest cluster we have now,” he said, adding that all steps must be taken to break the chain of spread.

He hoped the movement control order (MCO) would result in a drop in the number of cases, noting that it had gone down from 125 previously to 110 today.

“We do not want the cases to grow exponentially,” he told a press conference.

On the case of a man who had tested positive for Covid-19 travelling in an inter-state bus from Johor Bahru to Kuantan, Adham said contract tracing of other passengers was being carried out to ask them to go for medical checks.

He said a swap had been taken and needed at least 24 hours before the results were known, but “the passenger had left before getting the results”.

“This is a non-compliance case. He should have self-quarantined,” he said.

Adham said transport services were allowed to go on as usual while the MCO was in effect but the ministry would propose to the National Security Council for passengers to carry out social distancing and to wear face masks.

As for Malaysians working in Singapore, he said the cross-border ban remained and it was up to NSC if they could return to the country before March 31.

On a Reuters report that 2,000 Rohingya men had attended the tabligh gathering at the Sri Petaling mosque, Adham said authorities were investigating.

On the case of the Kelantan mufti, he said the ministry was still waiting for the test results.

The Covid-19 outbreak has claimed the lives of two Malaysians – a 34-year-old who attended the tabligh gathering, and a 60-year-old pastor from Sarawak.

CLICK HERE FOR THE LATEST DATA ON THE COVID-19 SITUATION IN MALAYSIA