PETALING JAYA: The Catholic Church says it is still waiting for authorities to confirm which churches are allowed to reopen next month in line with Putrajaya’s latest announcement on non-Muslim houses of worship under the conditional movement control order.
In a statement, the Archdiocese of Kuala Lumpur said a list of churches from several dioceses under the Bishops Conference of Malaysia had been submitted to the national unity ministry.
“We have no news with regards to churches that have been selected, neither are we privy to the criteria for selection apart from the requirement that the church be located in a green zone.”
Yesterday, the government said non-Muslim houses of worship in green zones will be allowed to reopen from June 10 onwards, subject to strict standard operating procedures (SOP).
Senior Minister for Security Ismail Sabri Yaakob said these include an age limit barring those above 70 and below 12 from entering the premises.
He also spoke of a cap of 30 people at any given time, fewer for smaller temples or churches.
The Catholic Church urged its members to be patient, saying different considerations must be taken into account before churches are reopened.
These include compliance with the restrictions imposed by the government, the volatile developments surrounding the Covid-19 outbreak, the advice of medical and public health consultants, parish capacity to meet the demands of the SOP and other public health protocols.
“We will continue to provide spiritual support to our community through various initiatives, especially the live streaming of masses,” it said.
Fake or not? Check our quick fake news buster here.