PUTRAJAYA: Senior Minister (Security) Ismail Sabri Yaakob has urged schools not to collect fees from parents as long as they were still closed.
He was asked to comment on reports of semi-private schools asking parents to continue paying full fees for their children.
Speaking at a press conference here today, he said this should not be happening as all schools are still closed.
“As long as schools are still closed, I hope no schools will collect fees.”
Meanwhile, he also urged unregistered kindergartens and childcare centres to register with the government.
He said 7,091 kindergartens have registered to start operating.
“We are concerned that with unregistered kindergartens, the caretakers did not receive any formal training.”
He added that it was also difficult to monitor their adherence to the standard operating procedures (SOPs) set by the government.
Therefore, he also urged these centres to download the SOPs from the women’s ministry website.
On reports of employers asking their workers to go on unpaid leave or annual leave for self-quarantine after interstate travel, he said this was not allowed.
He said the National Security Council (NSC) only ordered mandatory isolation for Malaysians returning home from overseas or Malaysians from the peninsula who travelled to Sabah and Sarawak.
He said the human resources ministry can take action against employers who force workers to go on leave or unpaid leave for this reason.
On a separate matter, he said the conditional movement control order (CMCO) compliance task force conducted 74,901 checks yesterday.
Police also conducted 140 interstate roadblocks, checking 290,432 vehicles.
A total of 31 people were arrested for flouting the CMCO yesterday, with 26 remanded and five on police bail. Police had also fined 93 individuals for different offences.
Ismail again reminded that interstate travel was only allowed for emergencies, deaths, work and couples who were separated.
He also said that from March 18 to June 3, police had opened 572 investigations into scams involving the sale of face masks. A total of 181 had been arrested and 53 charged in court.
He said these scams involved an estimated loss of RM5.5 million. He said many of these scams involved online purchases through WhatsApp and Facebook.
Meanwhile, he said 14,579 Malaysians were undergoing mandatory quarantine at 181 quarantine centres.
So far, 49,464 people have undergone quarantine since April and 38,845 individuals have been discharged.
Since April 27, Ismail said the higher education ministry has sent 57,729 students back to their respective hometowns.
Another 566 students are scheduled to be sent home through three flights. A total of 468 students from Kuala Lumpur will be sent to Sibu, Miri and Kuching, 38 students from Miri will be sent to Kota Kinabalu, and 60 students from Kota Kinabalu will be sent to Bintulu.
Ismail said the Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB) has so far conducted checks on 6,559 construction sites nationwide. A total of 5,050 sites are still closed while another 10 constructions sites were ordered to close.
Construction sites are only allowed to open if all foreign workers have been tested negative for Covid-19. More than 30,000 migrants working on construction sites have been screened.
Fake or not? Check our quick fake news buster here.