PH indecisive on PM candidate, Shafie says after coalition backs Anwar

Sabah Chief Minister Shafie Apdal.

KOTA KINABALU: Sabah Chief Minister Shafie Apdal says Pakatan Harapan (PH) is being indecisive about its choice of prime minister candidate following the coalition’s move to back PKR president Anwar Ibrahim for the top post if it retakes federal power.

“I believe when I was nominated by Mahathir, I was a solution to the impasse but we can see that there is indecision on the part of PH,” the Semporna MP told reporters here today.

The PH presidential council said on Monday that it would support Anwar as its candidate for prime minister, following a tussle between the coalition’s component parties with Amanah and DAP urging PKR to return to PH consensus and back Dr Mahathir Mohamad as its nominee for the post.

In a joint statement, Anwar, Amanah president Mohamad Sabu and DAP secretary-general Lim Guan Eng said PH was committed to its original stand to name the PKR leader as its prime minister in the event that it wins back federal power.

They added that the council had also discussed the proposal for Shafie, who is Warisan president, to be nominated for the post.

Mahathir, who made the proposal, also suggested that Anwar and Mukhriz Mahathir, who was deputy president of PPBM, be appointed as deputy prime ministers under Shafie.

Speaking today, Shafie said he had had no word from Anwar on the matter.

“We’ll see if there will be a discussion,” he added. “For us, there is no problem if that is the solution wanted.

“But there has been no one from Sabah as prime minister before,” he said.

“It doesn’t have to be me because there was a lot of tussle going on about whether to accept Mahathir or Anwar.”

On his absence as guest of honour for a Teachers’ Day celebration by education authorities today, Shafie said he had been invited to launch the event after the state approved a host of measures including monetary aid for schools, for the construction of hostels and flood relief, among others.

“We even approved face masks and sanitiser for all 221 government schools and 15 private schools in Sabah.

“So they invited me to launch the event and I immediately agreed. But I was told late yesterday evening that I could no longer attend.”

Adding that it was “okay”, he said there was no need to continue the issue.

“It’s their right to invite me or not.”

Fake or not? Check our quick fake news buster here.