Pejuang denies fielding proxies in Melaka polls

Pejuang denies fielding proxies in Melaka polls

Its chairman, Dr Mahathir Mohamad, says neither him nor his party is linked to any of the independent candidates.

Pejuang chairman Dr Mahathir Mohamad says the party is not supporting any candidate in the Melaka state election.
MELAKA:
Pejuang today refuted allegations that it is fielding proxy candidates in the Melaka state election.

Its chairman, Dr Mahathir Mohamad, said the party had already announced that it would not take part in the election.

“However, I was informed that certain quarters are trying to link me and Pejuang with certain individuals contesting as independent candidates in the polls.

“I want to stress that Pejuang and I do not support anyone in the Melaka polls, let alone field proxy candidates.

“I hope that with this explanation, nobody will try to link me or Pejuang with any of the candidates,” the former prime minister posted in his blog.

Before this, former Pengkalan Batu assemblyman Norhizam Hassan Baktee, who is contesting as an independent candidate, also refuted rumours that he would contest under the Pejuang banner.

Polling for the election will take place on Nov 20, with early voting on Nov 16.

Stay current - Follow FMT on WhatsApp, Google news and Telegram

Subscribe to our newsletter and get news delivered to your mailbox.