Rethink decision to suspend umrah trips, say travel agencies

Rethink decision to suspend umrah trips, say travel agencies

They say both pilgrims and travel agencies will incur huge losses if government stands firm on decision.

Pilgrims for the umrah bound for Saudi Arabia in November. Today, health minister Khairy Jamaluddin said travel to perform the umrah will be suspended from Jan 8 to curb the spread of the Omicron variant. (Bernama pic)
KUALA LUMPUR:
Travel agencies offering umrah packages have urged the government to reconsider its decision to temporarily suspend permission to perform the pilgrimage.

TH Travel & Services Sdn Bhd chief executive officer Ahmad Ruzman Ahmad Razali said the suspension would result in huge losses for prospective pilgrims who had already booked and paid for their trips.

“The umrah visa will only be issued after travel agencies make payments, which include hotel and transportation costs through the e-wallet system provided by Saudi Arabia’s haj and umrah ministry.

“If there is a delay on our part, the amount paid will not be refunded. Therefore, whatever costs that will be incurred by the pilgrims and the travel agencies should be taken into account,” he told a press conference here today.

Also present were Association of Travel Agencies, Umrah and Haj (Papuh) president Razali Mohd Sham, Association of Bumiputera Tourism Operating Companies Malaysia (Bumitra) honorary secretary-general Ab Rahman Mohd Ali and Malaysian Association of Tour and Travel Agents (Matta) vice-president Mohd Azri Abd Razak.

Ab Rahman said pilgrims are estimated to incur losses amounting to RM210 million for the first quarter of 2022.

According to him, travel agencies would also have to deal with claims filed by umrah pilgrims at the Tribunal for Consumer Claims or civil court as a result of the suspension.

“This travel suspension will definitely have a big impact on travel agencies,” he said.

Meanwhile, Razali suggested that umrah pilgrims be given priority for the Covid-19 vaccine boosters if the government reversed its decision.

“We hope the health ministry will increase the number of RT-PCR test counters at KLIA, as well as its staff on duty to speed up the screening process,” he said.

The government today decided to temporarily suspend travel to perform the umrah from Jan 8 to curb the spread of the Omicron variant.

Announcing this, health minister Khairy Jamaluddin said the authorities were concerned that non-compliance with home quarantine procedures among returning pilgrims had caused the spread of the new variant among family members.

Stay current - Follow FMT on WhatsApp, Google news and Telegram

Subscribe to our newsletter and get news delivered to your mailbox.