
The 31 individuals are made up of members of Barisan Nasional’s component parties, including Perak Umno chief and menteri besar Saarani Mohamad.
Judge Hasnah Mohammed Hashim dismissed their joint application to seek judicial review over MACC’s decision in 2019, saying the legal questions they had raised were not “novel issues”.
“This application for leave for judicial review is dismissed,” she said.
Senior federal counsel Ahmad Hanir Hambaly @ Arwi, appearing for MACC, said they were not seeking costs from the 31 individuals.
Hasnah also did not make any order on costs.
The 31 individuals were represented by lawyer Shahrul Fazli Kamarulzaman, who told the court the issuance of the compound notices was an “administrative decision” by MACC which the court could inquire into.
However, Hanir said their bid to challenge the issuance of the compound notices had been rendered academic as they had expired.
He said the compound notices were issued on Oct 7, 2019 and “lapsed” two weeks later.
“They had also exercised their right to reject the compounds and that brings an end to it,” he said.
Latheefa Koya, who was MACC’s chief commissioner at the time, had announced in 2019 that the anti-graft body had issued compound notices to 80 individuals and entities for allegedly receiving RM420 million from 1MDB.
She had said nine individuals and 71 entities comprising 23 companies, 43 political organisations and five foundations received cheques from Najib Razak’s accounts.
In their bid to commence a legal challenge against MACC’s decision, the 31 individuals claimed the notices were premature, misleading and a tort of misfeasance in public office.
They also sought an order to stop MACC from enforcing the compounds or proceeding with the prosecution.