PETALING JAYA: Umno secretary-general Ahmad Maslan plans to meet the Registrar of Societies (RoS) to clear the air about the no-contest motion for the party’s top two posts that was passed at the Umno general assembly last weekend.
He said he will be accompanied by the party’s lawyers in the meeting to explain how the procedures for proposing and tabling that controversial motion were carried out in accordance with Umno’s constitution.
Ahmad was asked to comment on a complaint filed by two Umno members with the RoS yesterday stating that the tabling of the no-contest motion had breached Article 10 of the party’s constitution.
The Pontian MP said that Umno’s lawyer had already explained that the permanent chairman (Badruddin Amiruldin) allowed the proposal for the motion in line with Clause 21.1 of the assembly’s rules, which was within his power as the permanent chairman.
He also said the delegates were allocated time to debate the motion before it was to be voted on.
“If the delegates did not agree, they could have stood up to express their disagreement,” Ahmad said.
“It can be said that more than 90% of the delegates expressed their agreement by raising their hands and even standing. There were only a few dozen delegates who raised their hands or stood up to express their disapproval.
“Therefore, this became a decision that was reached at the general assembly. Therefore, it is an order, or party policy, that all Umno members must abide by.”
He did not want to comment on whether the two Umno members’ complaint to the RoS was in accordance with party rules.
Umno’s decision to bar contests for the party’s top two positions has raised questions on the legality and constitutionality of the move.
The motion adopted by the general assembly ensures that party president Ahmad Zahid Hamidi and his deputy, Mohamad Hasan, will be returned unopposed in the Umno elections which must be held by May 19.
Umno leaders are divided on the matter, and while some are sure of the motion’s validity, others have taken an opposite view.