KUALA LUMPUR: The Selangor government is ready to release the full report on the Batang Kali landslide tragedy if family members of the victims apply for it, says menteri besar Amirudin Shari.
Amirudin said the report was prepared by the minerals and geoscience department.
“The report is ready. If there are any applications (requesting for the report), we can issue it in writing,” he told reporters after the launch of the People’s Income Initiative by economy minister Rafizi Ramli in Ampang here.
Yesterday, the families of the victims of the tragic incident urged the government to release the full report on the tragedy as soon as possible.
Loh Teng Shui, who was speaking on behalf of the families, said they were still waiting to get answers as to what really happened.
“We don’t know which department to go to and which authorities to reach out to (for more information),” he said.
It was previously reported that a preliminary report had been presented to the Cabinet on Jan 4.
In December, police said that their investigation into the landslide was almost 90% complete. However, there had been no updates after that.
The early morning incident on Dec 16 claimed the lives of 31 people, including 13 children.
Another 61 people trapped in the landslide were pulled out to safety during the search and rescue operation at the Father’s Organic Farm campsite.
Preliminary findings by the works ministry showed that tension cracks that stretched along the road running above the hill slope and the accumulation of underground water beneath the campsite had likely caused the landslide.