
The family members, along with lawyer Zaid Malek, handed over a memorandum stating their demands to Bukit Aman, which was represented by a police officer.
“We call for a probe under Sections 302 and/or 304 of the Penal Code to be opened and handled by a team from Bukit Aman,” Zaid said in a press conference.
Section 302 deals with murder while Section 304 deals with culpable homicide not amounting to murder.
Zaid also said an independent investigation team should be appointed to conduct the investigation.
“We want to ensure that the investigation is transparent,” he said.
Soosaimanicckam’s father, S Joseph, also told reporters that he wants Bukit Aman to investigate the case.
“We urge them to investigate as no one is above the law,” he added.
On July 29, the Ipoh High Court set aside the open verdict issued in 2018 by the coroner’s court inquiring into Soosaimanicckam’s death and ruled it a homicide.
Judge Abdul Wahab Mohamed ruled that the 27-year-old’s death was a direct consequence of the navy officers in charge of cadet training denying him medical treatment.
Wahab said that the navy officers denied Soosaimanicckam’s request for medical treatment for leptospirosis, a disease caused by bacteria that affects people and animals.
Soosaimanicckam was pronounced dead at 1.45pm on May 19, 2018 at the Armed Forces Hospital in Lumut, Perak.
It was previously reported that Soosaimanicckam had complained of chest pains and shortness of breath at the hostel after completing routine physical training at the camp.