
The forces said the incident, which occurred at about 5pm, stemmed from the Palestinians’ request to expedite the process of returning to their homeland.
Armed forces personnel managed to control the situation without any physical altercations or injuries, and resolved the issue through discussions with the group, they said in a statement.
“Only minor damage to furniture at Wisma Transit was reported. The Palestinians dispersed at about 7.30pm,” the statement said, adding that the public should not speculate about the matter.
Video recordings that went viral on social media showed a group of Palestinians causing damage, including burning bedsheets, as a form of protest.
Some residents were also seen gathering at Wisma Transit’s lobby, holding signs that read “hunger strike”.
A similar commotion occurred at the same location in October last year, involving Palestinians reportedly dissatisfied with being restricted from staying outside the premises because of security concerns.
On Aug 16, 2024, a total of 127 Palestinians and their family members arrived in Malaysia aboard two RMAF A-400M aircraft. Of that number, 40 had arrived to receive medical treatment.
Palestinian envoy apologises
Meanwhile, Palestinian ambassador to Malaysia, Walid Abu Ali has expressed deep regret over this latest commotion at the Wisma Transit, Bernama reported.
He apologised for the actions of his people and said that such actions were not in line with Palestinian culture and ethics.
He said both the Malaysian government and the embassy are fully committed to addressing the issue and offering support to those affected.
“The issue is under discussion with the Malaysian authorities. I am truly saddened by what happened.
“This goes against our culture. The government of Malaysia and the Palestinian embassy are doing our best to help,” he was quoted as saying.