Malaysian GSF activists released, expected home by Sunday

Malaysian GSF activists released, expected home by Sunday

Sumud Nusantara Command Centre director-general Sani Araby Abdul Alim Araby says they are currently being assisted by the Turkish government.

Aid flotilla headed to Gaza arrives in Tunisi
The activists aboard GSF 2.0 are expected to undergo health screening at a Turkish hospital, following reports that some detainees had been beaten and injured while in custody. (EPA Images pic)
PETALING JAYA:
All 428 activists aboard the Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) 2.0, including 29 Malaysians detained by Israeli forces in international waters, have been released, with the Malaysian delegation expected to return home on Sunday.

Sumud Nusantara Command Centre (SNCC) director-general Sani Araby Abdul Alim Araby said the organisation had been informed by Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim that Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan had dispatched three Turkish Airlines aircraft to Ramon Airport, located in Israeli territory.

He said all 428 activists were being transferred by bus to Ramon Airport and were expected to travel to Istanbul on three special Turkish government-sponsored flights: TK6919, TK6921 and TK6925.

“The three Turkish Airlines flights are expected to depart from Israel at about 8pm Malaysian time.

“The flights are expected to arrive at 10pm Malaysian time and will be received by representatives from the Malaysian embassy in Turkey, Wisma Putra as well as the Turkish government,” Bernama reported him as saying.

Sani Araby said the Malaysian delegation is expected to undergo medical screening at a Turkish hospital, following reports that some detainees had been beaten and injured while in custody.

He said they are expected to depart Istanbul on Saturday and arrive at KLIA on Sunday.

Sani Araby expressed appreciation to Anwar, foreign minister Mohamad Hasan, communications minister Fahmi Fadzil and Selangor menteri besar Amirudin Shari for their continuous commitment in seeking the release of the 29 Malaysians.

“This includes efforts to mobilise international diplomatic channels for negotiations and ensure the safe evacuation of all 29 Malaysians,” he said.

Stay current - Follow FMT on WhatsApp, Google news and Telegram

Subscribe to our newsletter and get news delivered to your mailbox.