S’gor looking to move blaze victims to Airbnbs, Sepang homes for now

S’gor looking to move blaze victims to Airbnbs, Sepang homes for now

Menteri besar says the cost of renting the homes will be shared by the Selangor and federal governments.

amirudin shari
Selangor menteri besar Amirudin Shari said a total of 200 cars have been offered to the victims for temporary use by several automotive companies.
SUBANG JAYA:
The Selangor government is considering relocating the victims of the Putra Heights blaze to temporary homes from next week onwards, says menteri besar Amirudin Shari.

He said the affected residents might be placed in Kota Warisan, Sepang, and Airbnb units in other parts of the Klang Valley to address overcrowding at the relief centres.

“We are starting next week. Some may be placed in Sepang, and I understand some will also be placed in Kota Warisan (in the Sepang district),” he said at a press conference today.

Amirudin also said his administration was working to confirm the Airbnb locations before proceeding with the relocation process. He said part of the cost of renting the homes would be shared by the state and federal governments, while further details of this initiative would be announced later.

So far, 115 of the affected houses have been certified as safe by the fire and rescue department, while the residents of 85 homes were allowed to return yesterday.

Another 30 were declared fit by Tenaga Nasional Bhd today after initial utility issues.

A total of 235 premises were affected by the gas pipeline blaze, with 87 completely burnt and 148 damaged. A total of 399 vehicles were also affected, with 225 burnt and 174 sustaining damage.

Amirudin said 200 cars had been offered to the victims for temporary use by several automotive companies including Chery, GoCar, DRB-Hicom Bhd, Carro, and Carsome.

Chery handed over 25 cars for victims to use for a month, with an additional 50 to be provided by Monday. Each recipient also received RM100 for fuel.

Amirudin said as of this morning, 112 people had applied for the use of these vehicles.

Separately, digital minister Gobind Singh Deo said he was looking into replacements for the electronic devices victims had lost in the fire.

“We are now in the process of figuring out how we can replace those devices. I hope to make an announcement about this in the next day or two,” he said after meeting victims near the site of the fire.

Gobind also urged those who need help getting new devices to file a formal request with their assemblyman or MP’s office for expedited assistance.

Stay current - Follow FMT on WhatsApp, Google news and Telegram

Subscribe to our newsletter and get news delivered to your mailbox.