
He said the Raja of Perlis had entrusted him with defending the government when he was appointed menteri besar, but he would have no choice if the motion was tabled, Utusan Malaysia reported.
“If there are efforts to table a no-confidence vote during the state assembly sitting, I’ll dissolve (the assembly). What’s the problem? As a politician, I have never known fear,” he told reporters after the Malam Citra Warna Kuala Perlis 2026 event on Friday night.
His remarks came a day after PAS president Abdul Hadi Awang said the party was reviewing its alliance with Bersatu.
Hadi said Bersatu had failed to uphold coalition solidarity, citing the political crisis in Negeri Sembilan and the five Bersatu assemblymen who withdrew support for the then-menteri besar Shukri Ramli of PAS.
The six assemblymen linked to the motion are Shukri (Sanglang), Muhammad Azmir Azizan (Santan), Asrul Aimran Abd Jalil (Kayang), Razali Saad (Simpang Empat), Wan Badariah Wan Saad (Mata Ayer) and Haziq Asyraf Dun (Beseri).
They had demanded an explanation from Abu Bakar over his decision to postpone the state assembly sitting, which was originally scheduled to be held from April 21-23.
Abu Bakar denied the postponement was due to fears of being toppled, insisting the Perlis PN government remained stable.
Perlis PAS information chief Zahid Ibrahim also previously said that none of the party’s assemblymen would table such a motion.
State PN chairman Shahidan Kassim also dismissed the idea, saying PAS central leadership had already decided to support the state government until the next state polls.