GEORGE TOWN: Federal authorities sold a large parcel of land at a RM15 million loss in Penang last year, Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng said yesterday.
He claimed a 3.4ha land south of Nibong Tebal on the mainland was worth RM16.6 million, but was sold at only RM1.42 million.
“The Penang Regional Development Authority (Perda) must explain, and this land was sold through an open tender,” Lim said at a press conference.
Lim furnished documents showing a company, SYT Prestige Sdn Bhd, buying the land near MRSM Transkrian, Nibong Tebal, from Perda on July 28, 2015.
It was learnt that the owner had received planning approval from the local authorities for a housing project on the site.
Lim also invited Perda chairman Shabudin Yahaya to “have coffee” with him this Sunday to chat about the land sale.
“This is people’s money at stake and hence a public issue.
“I am not trying to divert any issue,” he said.
Shabudin’s office did not respond to queries, saying they will hold a press conference about the matter tomorrow morning.
Perda was established on June 1, 1983, as an agency to develop Penang under the auspices of the Prime Minister’s Department.
Shabudin, who is Tasek Gelugor MP, was the one who had alleged in Parliament that Lim had bought a bungalow in Penang at below the market price.
Following the allegation, Lim had also invited Shabudin for a face-to-face meeting at Komtar. Shabudin declined the invitation.
Police and the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) are now investigating the bungalow purchase and also accusations that the bungalow sale was related to the sale, through an open tender, of a piece of land in Taman Manggis for a hospital and hotel project.