KUALA LUMPUR: The hand grenade attack at the Movida club in Puchong last month was the Islamic State’s (IS) first ever successful attack on Malaysian soil, the police confirmed today.
Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar said police last week arrested two men in Port Klang believed to have thrown the grenade. Police are looking for another two, believed to be linked to the June 28 incident.
“The two men had received orders from one of the Malaysians in Syria, Muhammad Wanndy Mohamed Jedi, who had ordered them to target senior government officers, senior policemen, as well judges as these are people who stood in their way of terror,” Khalid told a press conference today.
It was Muhammad Wanndy who had laid claim to the attack, hours after the bombing.
Khalid said the two were part of 15 men detained for links with IS between June 28 and July 1.
Two of the 15 suspects are policemen from Kedah and Penang.
“One of them had intended to plan robberies to fund IS cells in the country while the other provided ‘protection’ to IS members,” Khalid said.
All the suspects were aged between 19 and 52 and are being probed under the Security Offences (Special Measures) Act 2012 (Sosma).
According to Khalid, the hand grenade used in the attack, which injured eight people, was a Second World War-era explosive brought in from a neighbouring country.
Khalid said police have stepped up their efforts following the Movida attack to prevent a recurrence.
He advised members of the public to be vigilant. He also urged entertainment centres to follow the business hours that had been set.
Khalid also released the mugshots of two men who can help police in their investigations.
The attack took place in the early hours of Tuesday morning, when customers were watching the live screening of the Euro soccer tournament. The IS claimed responsibility soon afterwards, claiming it was aimed at vice activities during Ramadan.