PETALING JAYA: Tourism and Culture Minister Nazri Aziz is happy former premier Dr Mahathir Mohamad has agreed to debate with him in his constituency of Padang Rengas, Perak.
“Okay, I agree and I think it’s a good idea because that’s what I’ve been saying all this while.
“If you want to bring down a person, go to his den,” he told FMT when contacted.
Earlier today, Mahathir’s aide told FMT they were now making the necessary arrangements for the debate to be held in Padang Rengas.
Although Mahathir’s aide has not confirmed the date, Mahathir, now the chairman of a new opposition outfit Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (PPBM), will be attending an event in Padang Rengas this March 25.
Nazri appeared unfazed over Mahathir’s confidence and offered his assistance to ensure the debate runs smoothly.
“Do be assured that I will be there on the 25th because I’m free.
“If he needs any assistance to organise the debate, just let me know.”
The war of words began when Nazri challenged Mahathir to contest against him in Padang Rengas in the coming general election.
Mahathir responded by challenging Nazri to contest against him for the Langkawi parliamentary seat instead. But since then, he has said he would not run for any seat in the upcoming general election.
Nazri still remained hopeful Mahathir would change his mind about not contesting in the next polls.
“I hope he does change his mind and stands against me in Padang Rengas.
“Challenge the person in his constituency if you want to defeat him.
“The same goes if the opposition wants to bring down Najib — go to Pekan.
“All this talk about challenging me to contest in Langkawi is just bullshit.”
Debate topics include the state-owned 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) and the Bumiputera Malaysia Finance (BMF) controversies, and the RM2.6 billion deposited into Prime Minister Najib Razak’s bank accounts.
Talk about the BMF scandal was recently revived when declassified US Central Intelligence Agency documents linked the Mahathir administration to about US$1 billion in losses in the 1980s.
Last year, Attorney-General Apandi Ali cleared Najib of any wrongdoing pertaining to the RM2.6 billion deposit, saying he was satisfied that the money was a personal donation from the Saudi royal family.