GEORGE TOWN: The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) recorded statements from “at least 10 people” regarding the proposed Penang undersea tunnel and major roads project today.
The people interviewed are members of the Penang government and the companies involved in the project.
When contacted, MACC deputy commissioner (operations) Azam Baki said officers had gone to Komtar this afternoon to “retrieve” some additional files related to the project.
He said “some 10” people were interviewed at 12 different locations in Penang and Kuala Lumpur, involving civil servants and companies involved in the project.
Azam also said it was “not necessary” for Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng to be arrested.
He declined to elaborate further.
Last Saturday, Parti Cinta Malaysia lodged a second report with MACC in Putrajaya on alleged new evidence regarding the Penang undersea tunnel.
The party had lodged a report with MACC in 2016 as well.
The 7.2km undersea tunnel will connect George Town’s Pangkor Road and Bagan Ajam in Butterworth. It is scheduled to begin in 2023.
The “three major roads” project are from Air Itam to Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu Expressway, Tanjung Bungah to Teluk Bahang, and Jalan Pangkor-Gurney Drive junction to Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu Expressway.
The project was previously called “three paired roads”.