
More popularly known as Mat Sabu, the pact’s deputy president said parliamentary seat negotiations have all been completed, except for the state of Sabah.
“As for state seats, we are just left with ‘final tuning’ for Selangor seats. Other state seat negotiations were concluded on Wednesday.
“For the first time we have concluded seat negotiations well before the general election,” he said to a crowd of about 2,000 people at PKR’s general election fundraising dinner here last night.
The dinner managed to raise RM1 million for the party in gearing up for the 14th general election (GE14).
Also present were PKR president Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail, DAP secretary-general Lim Guan Eng, national PKR leaders such as Tian Chua and Dr Xavier Jeyakumar, as well as state PH leaders.
Apart from almost concluding seat negotiations, Mat Sabu said for the first time, the opposition pact has been able to name its prime minister-designate and deputy prime minister-designate, who are Dr Mahathir Mohamad and Wan Azizah. The duo are also PH chairman and president, respectively.
Mat Sabu said PH were also able to name its prime minister to come after that, which is PKR de facto leader Anwar Ibrahim. Anwar is due to be released from jail in 98 days. But he would still need a full pardon in order to contest in any election and to qualify to be prime minister.
Mat Sabu went on to state that after this, it is time for everyone to work hard to ensure all PH candidates win in the general election and put PH on the road towards Putrajaya.
“It is compulsory for us to do that. If not we will be questioned by the citizens of the world on why we are unable to take over an administration that is kleptocratic and so corrupt,” he said.
Exactly a month ago, it was Mat Sabu who had called for calm in the wake of disputes between PH parties in Selangor over the issue of seat negotiations, and that differences among the four components in the opposition alliance should be brought up in discussions behind closed doors.
This followed a very public spat between Selangor Menteri Besar Mohamed Azmin Ali and Selangor Amanah chief Izham Hashim over the issue of seat negotiations.
Izham had said he was not aware of any state seat negotiations following a statement by Azmin that four such meetings were held with 80% of the state seats having been decided.
Selangor DAP chairman Tony Pua also concurred with Izham’s comments, saying he too was not aware that 80% of seats had been decided as claimed by Azmin.
The rift between the parties was intensified with PKR leaders coming to Azmin’s defence.
Late last month, Azmin, who is also PKR deputy president, told reporters that there were positive developments concerning the ongoing seat negotiations in Selangor.
He reportedly said the PH component parties have seen the need for a consensus that will ensure PH not only retains Selangor, but also wins it with a bigger majority.
Four important seats in Penang, Kedah
Mat Sabu also pointed out the importance of PH securing wins in four parliamentary seats in the northern region, namely Balik Pulau (to be contested by PKR), Tasek Gelugor (PPBM), Kepala Batas (Amanah) and Kulim-Bandar Baharu (PKR).
“It is our responsibility to ensure we win these four seats, as it will be part of the key to help us exceed the 111 parliamentary seats we need to take over Putrajaya,” he said.
As for Penang seat allocations, an announcement which was supposed to have been made last night on the matter did not materialise, and will instead be announced at another time.
When approached by reporters later, Wan Azizah was coy over the matter, declining to say anything on the seat distribution.
“We will announce at the next PH presidential council meeting. It has already been settled in principle.
“I don’t know when (it will be announced). There may be some last minute (changes),” she said.