PETALING JAYA: In the latest twist to M Kayveas’ resignation as myPPP president, the party has claimed that Kayveas had been sacked prior to his announcement that he was stepping down.
Party deputy secretary-general Simon Sabapathy said myPPP only received Kayveas’s resignation letter today but the party had decided to sack him earlier following a letter dated April 24 from Barisan Nasional (BN) secretary-general Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor.
The letter had apparently noted that several actions and statements made by Kayveas had the potential to damage the relationship between myPPP and other BN component parties.
“The letter seemed to imply that myPPP would be requested to leave BN,” Sabapathy said today.
“The party’s Supreme Council had a meeting and decided that Kayveas should not have acted on his own accord on something as important as seat allocations without discussing it with the Supreme Council.
“This is against the party’s constitution and so it was decided that Kayveas would be sacked.”
The statement by myPPP comes shortly after Kayveas had claimed that he resigned from the party and all of his posts effective two days ago. Kayveas’s announcement was made via his official Twitter account.
However, the party’s secretary-general Mohan Kandasamy, who first announced today that Kayveas had been sacked, said the party had not received his resignation letter until early today when the decision to sack him had already been made.
Mohan also announced that party vice-president Maglin D’Cruz would be acting president effective immediately.
Kayveas had been lobbying for the Cameron Highlands parliamentary seat, won in GE13 by then MIC president G Palanivel. He had been on the ground organising programmes and meeting constituents.
The seat, however, will be contested by MIC Youth chief C Sivarraajh, who had also been active in the Pahang parliamentary constituency.
Kayveas was offered the Segambut seat in Kuala Lumpur but he rejected it and said the offer was made too close to the election and it would be difficult to win the seat.
This led to speculation that myPPP would quit BN in protest, but Kayveas subsequently said that the party would remain in the coalition.
He also said that although he had rejected the offer to stand in Segambut, other myPPP members were welcome to stand in the constituency.
Last week, myPPP’s Loga Bala Mohan was announced as the BN candidate for Segambut, where he will take on DAP’s Hannah Yeoh.
However, Kayveas said he had not consented to Loga standing in Segambut.
Kayveas, a former deputy minister, became myPPP president in 1993. Presently, he is an adviser to the transport ministry, which is a post with a ministerial status.
Mohan also confirmed today that Loga would be contesting in Segambut.
Click here to get live updates throughout the GE14 season