SEMPORNA: Parti Warisan Sabah president Shafie Apdal will face a cousin in one battle and a four-way contest in another as he seeks to be elected to the Sabah state assembly as well as to Parliament.
In Semporna, where he was elected MP in 2013, he will face Ramlee Marahaban (BN), Abdul Nasir Abdul Raub (PAS) and Asmara Asmad of Parti Harapan Rakyat Sabah.
In the Senallang state seat, Shafie has the intriguing prospect of being up against his cousin, Nasir Sakaran of BN, who seeks re-election, after Zakaria Md Jakaria of PHRS failed to qualify.
Semporna also contains the state constituencies of Bugaya and Sulabayan.
Bugaya will be a hotbed, with six competitors in the running:
- Nasir’s brother Razak Sakaran (BN-Umno),
- Manis Muka Mohd Dara (Warisan),
- Mohd Said Tiblan (Parti Perpaduan Rakyat Sabah),
- Mahamod Sarahil (PAS),
- Kuli Maralang (Independent) and
- Abdul Muksin Mohd Hassan (Independent).
In Sulabayan, the contenders are:
- Jaujan Sambakong (Warisan), who won the constituency on a BN ticket in the last election
- Harman Mohamad (BN-Umno)
- Utung Tanjong Baru (PHRS) and
- Abdul Nasir (PAS)