Kevin Morais murder: Accused tells of RM3.5 mil offer from Najib

Deputy public prosecutor Anthony Kevin Morais was murdered in 2015.

KUALA LUMPUR: The seventh accused in the murder of deputy public prosecutor Anthony Kevin Morais told the High Court here today that he was offered RM3.5 million by former prime minister Najib Razak to admit guilt.

S Ravi Chandaran, 47, claimed this offer was made through a prison officer.

He also said Kevin’s younger brother, Richard Morais, also offered him RM2 million to plead guilty.

Ravi, who is the defence’s sixth witness, said this when cross-examined by counsel N Sivananthan, who is representing military pathologist Colonel Dr R Kunaseegaran, during the proceedings on the 24th day of the defence’s case.

Sivananthan: You said Dr Kunaseegaran offered RM1.5 million for you to admit guilt. This was done on Dec 29, 2017.

Ravi: True.

Sivananthan: You also lodged a police report that on Jan 26, 2018, Richard Morais offered RM2 million to you to plead guilty.

Ravi: Yes, true.

Sivananthan: In the same report, you said in February 2018, there was a prison officer who offered you RM3.5 million, to plead guilty, on behalf of Najib Razak.

Ravi: Yes, true.

Ravi also agreed with Sivananthan’s suggestion that the amount of money offered to him by the individuals concerned for him to plead guilty was about RM7 million.

To a suggestion that the accused had just made up the story about the money, Ravi disagreed.

He also disagreed with a suggestion that there was no reason for the individuals to offer him the money.

When asked by Sivananthan on whether Kunaseegaran had ordered him to kill Kevin, the accused said: “No”.

To a question whether Kunaseegaran had ordered him to do something to Kevin, such as to kidnap him, the accused also replied “no”.

Ravi previously told the court that Kunaseegaran had offered him RM1.5 million if he pleaded guilty to killing Kevin.

R Dinishwaran, AK Thinesh Kumar, M Vishwanath; S Nimalan, Ravi and Kunaseegaran had pleaded not guilty to murdering Kevin during their journey from Jalan Dutamas 1, Sentul, to No 1 Jalan USJ 1/6D, Subang Jaya, between 7am and 8pm on Sept 4, 2015.

They are charged under Section 302 of the Penal Code and read together with Section 34 of the same code, which carries the mandatory death sentence upon conviction.

Dinishwaran, 26, Thinesh Kumar, 25, Vishwanath; 28, Nimalan, 25, and Ravi are represented by lawyer V Rajehgopal while the prosecution is led by deputy public prosecutor Saiful Edris Zainuddin.

The hearing before Judge Azman Abdullah resumes on Friday.