Jalan TAR to be reserved for pedestrians, buses only

PUTRAJAYA: The route along Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman (Jalan TAR) in Kuala Lumpur will be closed to all vehicles except buses beginning March 15, Federal Territories Minister Khalid Samad says.

The 1km stretch of road from Jalan Esfahan to Jalan Melayu will be closed to allow the public to go about their business without having to deal with the constant traffic in the area, he added.

“The Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) conducted an online survey on the closure of the road, and the majority of respondents agreed to the proposal.

“We intend to make the route starting from the Sogo shopping complex to Wisma Bandar a vehicle-free road or a pedestrian mall where visitors can walk about and shop,” he said in a news conference in conjunction with Federal Territory Day yesterday.

Also present was Kuala Lumpur mayor Nor Hisham Ahmad Dahlan.

He said if the situation was positive after the road closure, DBKL was ready to allow bazaar traders who had applied for business licences to operate in the area during Ramadan.

He added that the entire stretch could accommodate up to 200 lots, which could also be used for other festive periods.

Khalid said the move would also safeguard the interests of business owners whose shops at the old site of the Ramadan bazaar had been adversely affected.